lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Ralph Soika <ralph.so...@imixs.com>
Subject Using Solr as a Database?
Date Sun, 02 Jun 2019 13:28:42 GMT
Inspired by an article in the last german JavaMagazin written by Uwe
Schindler I wonder if Solr can also be used as a database?

In our open source project Imixs-Workflow we use Lucene
<https://imixs.org/doc/engine/queries.html> since several years with
great success. We have unstructured document-like data generated by the
workflow engine. We store all the data in a transactional RDBMS into a
blob column and index the data with lucene. This works great and is
impressive fast also when we use complex queries.

The thing is that we do not store any fields into lucene - only the
primary key of our dataset is stored in lucene. The document data is
stored in the SQL database.

Now as far as I understand is solr a cluster enabled datastore which can
be used to store also all the data form our document.
The problem with relational databases was always the lack of
cloud/cluster support to get more stable data by using redundancy over
serveral nodes.

What do you think? Is solr an alternative to store and index data
instead of useing Lucene in combination with RDBMS?

===
Ralph