lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jörn Franke <jornfra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Solr as a Database?
Date Sun, 02 Jun 2019 14:05:37 GMT
It depends what you want to do with it. You can store all fields in Solr and filter on them.
However, as soon as it comes to Acid guarantees or if you need to join the data you will be
probably needing something else than Solr (or have other workarounds eg flatten the table
).

Maybe you can describe more what the users do in Solr or in the database.

> Am 02.06.2019 um 15:28 schrieb Ralph Soika <ralph.soika@imixs.com>:
>
> Inspired by an article in the last german JavaMagazin written by Uwe Schindler I wonder
if Solr can also be used as a database?

> In our open source project Imixs-Workflow we use Lucene <https://imixs.org/doc/engine/queries.html>
since several years with great success. We have unstructured document-like data generated
by the workflow engine. We store all the data in a transactional RDBMS into a blob column
and index the data with lucene. This works great and is impressive fast also when we use complex
queries.

> The thing is that we do not store any fields into lucene - only the primary key of our
dataset is stored in lucene. The document data is stored in the SQL database.

> Now as far as I understand is solr a cluster enabled datastore which can be used to store
also all the data form our document.
> The problem with relational databases was always the lack of cloud/cluster support to
get more stable data by using redundancy over serveral nodes.