lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Kettmann <andrew.kettm...@evolve24.com>
Subject Re: Solr 7.7.2 - Autoscaling in new cluster ignoring sysprop rules, possibly all rules
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2019 19:34:33 GMT
Entered ticket https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13586

Sadly, no patch attached this time as it is a much more complicated issue than my last one,
and a good bit above my paygrade with Java.

________________________________
From: Andrzej BiaƂecki <ab@getopt.org>
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2019 4:29:49 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solr 7.7.2 - Autoscaling in new cluster ignoring sysprop rules, possibly all
rules

Andrew, please create a JIRA issue - in my opinion this is a bug not a feature, or at least
something that needs clarification.

> On 27 Jun 2019, at 23:56, Andrew Kettmann <andrew.kettmann@evolve24.com> wrote:
>
> I found the issue. Autoscaling seems to silently ignore rules (at least sysprop rules).
Example rule:

> {'set-policy': {'sales-uat': [{'node': '#ANY',
>                               'replica': '<2',
>                               'strict': 'false'},
>                              {'replica': '#ALL',
>                               'strict': 'true',
>                               'sysprop.HELM_CHART': 'foo'}]}}
>

> Two cases will get the sysprop rule ignored:
>
>  1.  No nodes have a HELM_CHART system property defined
>  2.  No nodes have the value "foo" for the HELM_CHART system property
>

> If you have SOME nodes that have -DHELM_CHART=foo, then it will fail if it cannot satisfy
another strict rule. So sysprop autoscaling rules appear to be unable to be strict on their
own it appears.

> Hopefully this can solve some issues for other people as well.
>
> ________________________________

that contain "banana" and "rulesos" for that value only.

> I create the collection with a call to the /admin/collections:
>
> {'action': 'CREATE',
> 'collection.configName': 'project-solr-7',
> 'name': 'banana',
> 'numShards': '2',
> 'policy': 'banana',
> 'replicationFactor': '2'}
>

> and it creates the collection without an error. Which what I expected was the collection
creation to fail. This is the behavior I had seen in the past, but after tearing down and
recreating the cluster in a higher environment, it does not appear to function.

> Is there some prerequisite before policies will be respected? The .system collection
is in place as expected, and I am not seeing anything in the logs on the overseer to suggest
any problems.

> [https://storage.googleapis.com/e24-email-images/e24logonotag.png]<https://www.evolve24.com>
Andrew Kettmann
 [Instagram] <https://www.instagram.com/evolve_24>

> evolve24 Confidential & Proprietary Statement: This email and any attachments are
confidential and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure
under applicable law. It is intended for the use of the recipients. If you are not the intended
recipient, or believe that you have received this communication in error, please do not read,
print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Please delete this
email and attachments, without reading, printing, copying, forwarding or saving them, and
notify the Sender immediately by reply email. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any transmission in error.