lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Starting Solr automatically
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2019 22:42:12 GMT
On 12/16/2019 9:48 PM, Anuj Bhargava wrote:
> Often solr stops working. We have to then go to the root directory and give
> the command *'service solr start*'
>
> Is there a way to automatically start solr when it stops.

If Solr is stopping, then something went wrong.  Something that will
probably continue to go wrong if you simply restart Solr.  An OOM (out
of memory) like Paras mentioned in his reply is the most likely cause.

You haven't mentioned which version of Solr you've got.  Most recent
versions, when started on a non-Windows operating system, will
self-terminate if Java throws an OutOfMemoryError (OOME) exception.  If
this happens, a separate logfile with "oom" in its filename should be
created.  The reason that this happens is that operation of any Java
program is completely unpredictable after an OOME.

If OOME is happening, then you have exactly two ways to deal with it.
They are outlined here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/SolrPerformanceProblems#SolrPerformanceProblems-JavaHeap

Thanks,
Shawn