mahout-user mailing list archives

From "Sean Owen" <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Text clustering
Date Sat, 06 Dec 2008 13:04:10 GMT
To answer a few recent points:

Not sure if this is helpful, but, the collaborative filtering part of
Mahout contains an implementation of cosine distance measure -- sort
of. Really it has an implementation of the Pearson correlation, which
is equivalent, if the data are 'centered' (have a mean of 0). This is,
in my opinion, a good idea. So if you agree, you could copy and adapt
this implementation of Pearson to your purpose. It is pretty easy to
re-create the actual cosine distance measure correlation too from this
code -- I used to have it separately in the code.

The Tanimoto distance is a ratio of intersection to union of two sets,
so is between 0 and 1. Cosine distance is, essentially, the cosine of
an angle in feature-space, so is between -1 and 1.