mahout-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clarifying output from Taste demo
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:59:16 GMT

On Mar 20, 2009, at 1:48 PM, Sean Owen wrote:

> What do you mean by recommendations "given an item" -- I think the
> answer is 'yes' with a little work. Do you mean
>
> - recommended users that would like an item, given an item? Yes, this
> would mean transposing the data model so that user IDs are item IDs
> and vice versa, that's all
>
> - items similar to a given item? doesn't need a recommender, just use
> an ItemSimilarity. There is a convenience method on
> ItemBasedRecommender that does this for you too

Yes, this one, but the others are good to know, too.  I'm still a
pretty new to CF, so bare w/ my dumb questions.   I was thinking I'd
like to be able to do something like http://localhost:8080/mahout-taste-webapp/RecommenderServlet?itemID=15

  (instead of userId=?)

and it would give me back all the movies that are similar to movie 15.