mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Netflix Demo for Taste
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 20:23:23 GMT
Would be easy to set up: needs a Recommender with a no-arg constructor that
contains all the setup logic. Then I think the target that builds
'grouplens.jar' should then build all the examples. Then the user could just
write in a different Recommender.

The Netflix data set is much much larger: the code has to choose to use only
about 1% of the data or else the memory requirement passes a gigabyte, which
is probably too much for a casual demo. It isn't really a recommender that
uses the whole data set, so maybe that is why I didn't set it up as a proper
demo.

There is more code in there which was bits of a more sophisticated effort
which is suitable for running in batch on a big machine - not demo friendly.

Sean