mahout-user mailing list archives

From James James <recommendersys...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: recommender on binary data
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:15:25 GMT
Thanks, can you elaborate a little bit on "I abuse the value of the estimated
preference in this case to return differing values depending on the
strength of the association between the user and item". Is this reflected in the codes somewhere?

Thanks,

________________________________
From: Sean Owen <srowen@gmail.com>
To: mahout-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:11:55 AM
Subject: Re: recommender on binary data

Well.. good question. Really, I abuse the value of the estimated
preference in this case to return differing values depending on the
strength of the association between the user and item. It's not always
1.0 actually.

It is certainly 'wrong' in a theoretical sense but seemed more useful
than just always saying '1.0'.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 4:09 PM, James James<recommendersystem@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks, I think the method recommend() returns an ordered list of items from the test
items. If the return value of estimatePreference() is all the same for all the test items,
how does the method recommend() decide the order in which it puts each test item on the ordered
list.