mahout-user mailing list archives

From James James <recommendersys...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: recommender on binary data
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:09:40 GMT
Thanks, I think the method recommend() returns an ordered list of items from the test items.
If the return value of estimatePreference() is all the same for all the test items, how does
the method recommend() decide the order in which it puts each test item on the ordered list.

Thanks again,

James

________________________________
From: Sean Owen <srowen@gmail.com>
To: mahout-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:01:32 AM
Subject: Re: recommender on binary data

Yeah, the return value of estimatePreference() is meaningless in this
context, since you have no preference values (or they're all,
conceptually, the same). The result of other methods would still have
meaning though, like recommend().

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 3:59 PM, James James<recommendersystem@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I also built a recommender using taste which operates on a binary data set (an user
has bought or not bought a product). However, the recommender always return the same predicted
value for all test items (in other words, all test items are considered preferred by the recommender).
Did I do something wrong?