mahout-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Getting Started with Classification
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:16:20 GMT
AFAICT, It is loading the Sum Feature Weights, stored in the Sigma_J
directory under the model.  For me, this file is 1.04 GB.  The values
in this file are loaded into a List of Doubles (which brings with it a
whole log of auto-boxing, too).  It seems like that should fit in
memory, especially since it is the first thing loaded, AFAICT.  I have
not looked yet into the structure of the file itself.

I guess I will have to dig deeper, this code has changed a lot from
when I first wrote it as a very simple naive bayes model to one that
now appears to be weighted by TF-IDF, normalization, etc. and I need
to understand it better.

On Jul 22, 2009, at 12:26 AM, Ted Dunning wrote:

> This is kind of surprising.  It would seem that this model shouldn't
> have
> more than a few doubles per unique term and there should be <half a
> million
> terms.  Even with pretty evil data structures, this really shouldn't
> be more
> than a few hundred megs for the model alone.
>
> Sparsity *is* a virtue with these models and I always try to
> eliminate terms
> that might as well have zero value, but that doesn't sound like the
> root
> problem here.
>
> Regarding strings or Writables, strings have the wonderful
> characteristic
> that they cache their hashed value.  This means that hash maps are
> nearly as
> fast as arrays because you wind up indexing to nearly the right
> place and
> then do a few (or one) integer compare to find the right value.
> Custom data
> types rarely do this and thus wind up slow.
>
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Grant Ingersoll
> <gsingers@apache.org>wrote:
>
>> I trained on a couple of categories (history and science) on quite
>> a few
>> docs, but now the model is so big, I can't load it, even with
>> almost 3 GB of
>> memory.
>

> --
> Ted Dunning, CTO