mahout-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Validating clustering output
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2009 10:55:17 GMT

On Jul 28, 2009, at 12:48 AM, Ted Dunning wrote:

> I owe the IBM team my interest in statistical approaches to AI and
> symbolic
> sequences.  It was on a visit to IBM in 1990 or so that Stephen (or
> Vincent)
> dP mentioned off-handedly to me that mutual information was
> "trivially known
> to be chi-squared distributed asymptotically".

I love statements like these!  Takes me back to the good old Math days
of "We'll leave it as an exercise to the reader" or proofs that start
off by saying "It is trivial to prove ..., so we'll proceed to the
main part of the proof" and, as a 20 year old Math student you spend
the next day beating your head against the wall because it is anything
but trivial to you!

-Grant