mahout-user mailing list archives

From Isabel Drost <isa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: making a choice wrt to an open recommendation framework
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2009 07:17:10 GMT
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:27:22 +0100
Siem Vaessen <siemvaessen@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/27/09 4:15 PM, Sean Owen wrote:
> > Oh I should also mention that the code you see in Mahout was
> > formerly a separate project called "Taste" so any references you
> > find to that are the same project. Mahout just has the latest
> > version of it.
>

> I was aware of that and did quit some digging into the origin of
> Mahout/Taste. Never sure where the name-switch came from, Taste was
> pretty staightforward :-)

Because Mahout is supposed to provide a lot more than Taste did.
Currently we are mostly recommender systems, classification algorithms,
clustering algorithms and frequent pattern mining implementations.

The mission of Mahout is to provide scalable (as in a lot of data, as
in commercially friendly licensed, as in healthy community)
implementations of machine learning algorithms.

Isabel