mahout-user mailing list archives

From Brian Wolf <brw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: new user
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2009 01:27:34 GMT
On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Sean Owen <srowen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes this should be pretty easy. GroupLensRecommender is simply an
> implementation of Recommender which is appropriate for this example.
> It uses GroupLensDataModel, and SlopeOneRecommender. It's just a class
> which you can find under the examples/ module. There is nothing more
> to it than this.

ok great, I guess I forgot to look sufficiently at the following steps,
I am doing this on a windows machine. Is this possible and practical
regarding the next step?

mvn jetty:run-war. You may need to give Maven more memory: in a bash shell,
export MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx1024Mep

and also doesn't the following require tomcat to be running? (not a big
problem, but it's listed as optional) If so, does taste somehow
automatically find the tomcat service, in other words, it tells tomcat to
look at certain taste directories, or something?
(sorry, my server knowledge at the present is limited to static apache web
server where we point the server to htdocs). In other words, I don't have to
onfigure tomcat

Get recommendations by accessing the web application in your browser:
http://localhost:8080/RecommenderServlet?userID=1
This will produce a simple preference-item ID list which could be consumed
by a client application. Get more useful human-readable output with the
debug parameter:
http://localhost:8080/RecommenderServlet?userID=1&debug=true