mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: new user
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2009 07:05:34 GMT
On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 2:27 AM, Brian Wolf <brw314@gmail.com> wrote:
> ok great, I guess I forgot to look sufficiently at the following steps,
> I am doing this on a windows machine. Is this possible and practical
> regarding the next step?

While I'd simply suggest downloading the 1M data set (or 10M if you
want to play with an even more realistic amount of data), yes it's not
hard to simply look for GroupLensRecommender.java in the project, and
swap out GroupLensDataModel for FileDataModel. Just a one-line change.

> mvn jetty:run-war. You may need to give Maven more memory: in a bash shell,
> export MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx1024Mep

Does this work on Windows? yes... though I admit any time I have used
Windows, I have used Cygwin in order to have a Unix-like environment,
with bash and all. I am not entirely sure how this would work in a
native Windows shell, but there must be an equivalent. It would work
to set an environment variable in the control panel but probably an
easier way.

> and also doesn't the following require tomcat to be running? (not a big
> problem, but it's listed as optional) If so, does taste somehow
> automatically find the tomcat service, in other words, it tells tomcat to
> look at certain taste directories, or something?
> (sorry, my server knowledge at the present is limited to static apache web
> server where we point the server to htdocs). In other words, I don't have to
> onfigure tomcat

The example here actually uses Jetty instead of Tomcat, via a Maven
plugin. It's all pretty automatic; there's nothing more than what's in
the instructions.

But the .war file that is generated would run on any J2EE container,
including Tomcat. You can easily use the targets in 'taste-webapp' to
build a deployable product around a Recommender implementation.