mahout-user mailing list archives

From Jake Mannix <jake.man...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Welcome Jake Mannix
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2009 15:22:54 GMT
Hey Grant, Mahouts,

  I'm very happy for the opportunity to really dig in and help build this
project towards its potential, and no longer feel as much of the guilt by
filing a gazillion JIRA tickets which I know will fall on somebody else's
head to review and commit. :)

  Background, where to begin... "I was born in London...", no, wait, that's
a bit far back.  Here we go: Originally trained in math and physics, to the
point of being enrolled in enough PhD programs (none completed, oh well)
that my financial counselor wonders whether I'll have my student loans paid
off before my kids start college (current bet: 2:1 odds against).  I got
diverted into the software world during TechBubble_1.0, where I've been ever
since.  I've worked at a bunch of startups (as well as a few bigger
companies I think are more adequately described as an "endup" in
comparison), where I learned a bunch about IR/search and a little about
NLP.  Now I work at LinkedIn, where I originally helped build our
distributed real-time search engine (on top of Lucene as well as some other
extensions we built in-house and subsequently open-sourced, such as
the zoie<http://zoie.googlecode.com/>project for the real-time search
piece, and
bobo-browse <http://bobo-browse.googlecode.com> for faceting), which uses
our social graph as a key component in search relevance.

   Now I'm responsible for recommender systems at LinkedIn, and am building
a generalized entity-to-entity recommendation engine platform (think: when
you post a job on our jobs portion of the site, we recommend some profiles
of members who would be a good match for the job [Job as Query for Members],
or the reverse: jobs you might want to look at [Member as query for Jobs],
or news articles you might like [Members as query for News], or personalized
ad targeting [Member as query for Ads], or questions relevant to an interest
group [Group as query for Q&A], or people like this person [Member as query
for Members], etc... ).  This current role is what kick-started me to
collect the bits of code I'd written over the years to do massive matrix
computations and put them in one place - the decomposer
project<http://decomposer.googlecode.com>is where I put them, until I
realized that matrix decompositions and
dimensional reduction aren't really as "sexy" enough a project to actually
get much of a community around all by themselves, so I'm currently porting
all that code into Mahout which isn't already here (follow MAHOUT-180 for
more details as that progresses, although now that I can assign JIRA tasks
to myself [once my account is set up], I may break that into many more
sub-tasks to break of more bite-sized chunks for Mahout to digest).

  So enough blathering on.  If you want to know more about me, my LinkedIn
profile <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jakemannix> has a more detailed
professional view, Twitter has me in roughly
1/(fine-structure-constant-of-QED)-byte sized
snippets<http://www.twitter.com/pbrane>,
and I've got the beginnings of a blog <http://www.decomposer.org/blog> as
well, but I'm not updating that terribly much lately, because just as Sean
is hard-at-work on a book on Mahout, I'm supposed to be spending all of my
"authoring" time writing a book for Manning as well: "Lucene in Depth", as a
kind-of follow-on / advanced topics book to go beyond Hatcher, Gospodnetic
and McCandless' awesome Lucene in Action introductory text.

  Looking forward to working with y'all more in the future.

  -jake

  p.s. For those of you in the S.F. Bay Area, LinkedIn is hiring both
Analytics Scientists (to research ways of using our Big Data to make
interesting new products), as well as IR and ML software engineers to work
on our distributed platforms (including hadoop and voldemort), search
infrastructure, and working with me on recommender systems.  Email me for
details if you're interested in hearing more!