mahout-user mailing list archives

From James James <recommendersys...@yahoo.com>
Subject GPL-licensed kfs0.3 for building mahout
Date Wed, 30 Dec 2009 19:46:28 GMT
Hi,

I examined all the jar files needed for building mahout-0.2 jar. There is one jar file called
kfs-0.3.jar which is GPL-licensed. I am not an expert on open source licenses, but my understanding
is that GPL is viral. Mahout itself is licensed under Apache License, but does its dependence
on this GPL-licensed jar file contaminate itself? This issue seems to also be relevant for
Hadoop since Hadopp seems to rely on this kfs-0.3.jar too.

Is there any way to build mahout-0.2 without relying on kfs-0.3.jar?

Thanks so very much.