mahout-user mailing list archives

From Drew Farris <drew.far...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GPL-licensed kfs0.3 for building mahout
Date Wed, 30 Dec 2009 21:35:56 GMT
There are a number of jars that were included in the hadoop 0.2
release because they are dependencies of hadoop. Many of these are
optional jars -- they are not actually needed to run hadoop. Things
like kfs and jets3t for example are libraries that are used to run
hadoop on filesystems other than hdfs.

License aside, they are not required for the build. They have been
explicitly excluded as dependencies in HEAD, for the case of
hadoop-0.2 you can comment out the dependency from the pom, and
perform the build without them.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 4:27 PM, James James
<recommendersystem@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --> Really? From what I could find, it's under Apache  2.0:
>
> Sorry, did I get this wrong? This is where I found the information
>
> http://www.filewatcher.com/p/kfs-0.3.4-280.i586.rpm.211816/HEADER.html
>
> Is this the jar file used in Mahout?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James
>

> ________________________________

file called kfs-0.3.jar which is GPL-licensed.

> Really? From what I could find, it's under Apache  2.0:
>
> http://blog.kosmix.com/kosmix-technology/kosmos-filesystem-release/
>
> Though it seems odd that the jar is in the org.apache.mahout.kosmofs groupId, vs. org.kosmix
(with artifactId of kosmosfs)

> -- Ken
>> I am not an expert on open source licenses, but my understanding is that GPL is viral.
Mahout itself is licensed under Apache License, but does its dependence on this GPL-licensed
jar file contaminate itself? This issue seems to also be relevant for Hadoop since Hadopp
seems to rely on this kfs-0.3.jar too.