mahout-user mailing list archives

From "Patterson, Josh" <jpatters...@tva.gov>
Subject RE: download mahout-0.2 release
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2009 19:53:13 GMT
I think this is probably a good idea from a base "simplest use case"
viewpoint;

If I come along and just want to try out something in Mahout as quickly
as possible, I could download the jars and give something a quick try.
If it works out for me, then that draws me further into thinking out
looking at the actual source code and possibly contributing later down
the road. Datamining, Hadoop, et al are complex enough for the average
user --- why not provide an option that caters to the casual crowd and
lowers that barrier to entry just a little?

Its trivial to offer the jars and the rest of us can continue to use
Maven/Ant to build as we like.

Josh

-----Original Message-----
From: Jake Mannix [mailto:jake.mannix@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 2:23 PM
To: mahout-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: download mahout-0.2 release

So another thought on this: should we just provide jars as part of a
distribution
via a simple link on lucene.apache.org/mahout?

So that people don't need to build from source?

I mean, if we want to include artifacts, why not just put them on the
site
for download?

  -jake

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-215to