mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ken Krugler <kkrugler_li...@transpac.com>
Subject Re: download mahout-0.2 release
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2009 20:33:27 GMT
> I am -1 for a change with out a bit more details.

I think having two options (source+doc and source+doc+dependent jars)
would make everybody happy.

Having the source in the second option only adds a small amount to the
size, compared to (a typical set of) dependent jars.

[snip]

> Also, I have some question about the second option due largely to my
> maven
> inexperience.  Is there an easy way to tell maven that jars *might( be
> present locally and that it doesn't need to download them?  It would
> seem
> really a bad idea to have to change the pom for different
> distributions.

This is how Maven operates by default. You have a local cache
(typically ~/.m2) that's used for all versioned jars.

Snapshot jars require checks against the source repo, but that's not a
common case.

And the build still works (with warnings) if your network is down, as
long as you have some version of the snapshot jar available.

-- Ken

> To argue against my own point, is it the sense of the group that the
> source-only need is satisfied by svn access?
>
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Patterson, Josh
> <jpatterson0@tva.gov>wrote:
>
>> I think this is probably a good idea from a base "simplest use case"
>> viewpoint;
>>
>> If I come along and just want to try out something in Mahout as
>> quickly
>> as possible, I could download the jars and give something a quick
>> try.
>> If it works out for me, then that draws me further into thinking out
>> looking at the actual source code and possibly contributing later
>> down
>> the road. Datamining, Hadoop, et al are complex enough for the
>> average
>> user --- why not provide an option that caters to the casual crowd
>> and
>> lowers that barrier to entry just a little?
>>
>> Its trivial to offer the jars and the rest of us can continue to use
>> Maven/Ant to build as we like.
>>
>> Josh

Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378