mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Taste-GenericItemBasedRecommender
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:46:53 GMT
I have always tried to avoid transposing the data matrix.

During my design phase for this, I was working on patch-wise patterns.
About then, Chris Dyer tried the simpler approach for a machine translation
problem and got very good results.

The major problem with the transpose is that it requires a MR job of its own
that is nearly as expensive as the multiply.   The combiner really makes a
huge difference to the inner product approach.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve