mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: A MapReduce Algorithm for Matrix Multiplication
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2009 01:56:35 GMT
NMF should be amenable to the stochastic decomposition trick.  That reduces
the problem to a much smaller factorization that you could plausibly do
using sequential techniques.  Jake Manning is working on getting
factorizations going, but I don't know if he has gotten to NMF.

Jake's comment about doing the multiplication cleanly using sparse
techniques is important, but you should also remember that if you have a
sparse matrix stored in triple form, doing a transpose is simply a matter of
changing which index your consider a row and which a column.  For some
algorithms, it might pay to sort the result once so that you can do a
sort-join for the multiplication, but that isn't hard.