mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Taste-GenericItemBasedRecommender
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 08:33:19 GMT
Yes, this makes sense. I do need two passes. One pass converts input
from "user,item,rating" triples into user vectors. Then the second
step builds the co-occurrence A'A product. I agree that it will be
faster to take a shortcut than properly compute A'A.

(Though I'm curious how this works -- looks deceptively easy, this
outer product approach. Isn't v cross v potentially huge? or likely to
be sparse enough to not matter)

I understand the final step in principle, which is to compute (A'A)h.
But I keep guessing A'A is too big to fit in memory? So I can
side-load the rows of A'A one at a time and compute it rather
manually.