mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Recommending items for anonymous users
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 20:48:41 GMT
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Tolga Oral <tolga.oral@gmail.com> wrote:

> PlusAnonymousUserDataModel will work once the user clicks on couple items
> on
> the site, however still doesnt solve the dead-start problem. We are
> creating
> user similarities based on different attributes and use the similarities to
> recommend items (doesn't solve all cases though)

This is a pretty simple extension.  Cluster your users by the
characteristics that you have.

Log user behavior for all users both as themselves and as a cluster member.

Then when you get a dead-start user, assign them to a cluster and give them
recommendations from the cluster.
As they interact, they can shed this cluster identity and use their own
history.