mahout-user mailing list archives

From Tolga Oral <tolga.o...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Recommending items for anonymous users
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 20:25:27 GMT
For the application I am working on we have similar problem that we are
trying solve in different ways. Our users are not anonymous but some of them
have no preference data (user ---> item link).

PlusAnonymousUserDataModel will work once the user clicks on couple items on
the site, however still doesnt solve the dead-start problem. We are creating
user similarities based on different attributes and use the similarities to
recommend items (doesn't solve all cases though)

However I am still interested in figuring out the most popular items with
some diversity (otherwise new "interesting/good" items have no chance of
ever getting in recommendations) ? Any ideas how we can do this in mahout?

Sean,