mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Predicting Successor Item
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:05:45 GMT
I would follow Sean's suggestion and try simpler methods first.  My guess is
that the important structure of the HMM may be much easier to learn by
sparsification techniques.

Sequence aware methods also have potential for harm in that they may just be
reverse-engineer your current link structure.  Reverse links might well be
just as useful to the customer.

I generally subtract the users history from recommendations in any case.
 That gives most of the benefit of sequence based recommenders (in the areas
of most historical interest for me ... music and videos).  Even without
direct sequence information, I found  that a simple item based recommender
would discern the episodic structure of video series without any problem.
 The top link would be the next episode and the second best link would
typically be the previous episode, but if the person had just come from the
previous episode, it wouldn't appear.