mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Recommendations on binary ratings
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:04:03 GMT
What I mean is that 'boolean' ratings express an association, versus
no association. Any item a user has bothered to rate is significantly
more associated to that user -- even if they hated it -- than the
universe of other items that the user has never even heard of.

If you're a classical music fan, and you dislike Brahms for some
reason, I still think it'd be better to recommend another romantic
composer before Led Zeppelin. So "dislike Brahms" is a more
significant association than "no idea who Led Zeppelin is".