mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Understanding the SVD recommender
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2010 10:52:50 GMT
I'm finally looking to make my crude understanding of SVD-based
recommenders more like "vague". I understand the SVD and the principle
here but haven't implemented it.

I'm looking at what I believe is the original paper on it by Sarwar et
al: www.grouplens.org/papers/pdf/sarwar_SVD.pdf

It's good stuff and I understood it once, but now that I dig into
details since I want to implement, I can't figure out how to read the
algorithm in a way that works out. I think there are some notation
problems, mostly in the incremental stage.

Is anyone out there familiar enough with this to a) discuss this paper
with me or b) point me to another writeup on the approach?