mahout-user mailing list archives

From Gökhan Çapan <gkhn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Predicting Successor Item
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:16:31 GMT
Sean,
Thank you for your suggestions.

I also thought about Frequent Item Set Mining, but as far as I know, by
extracting a list of "frequent item sets", the successor item for an item
that is not popular enough won't be found.

In addition, I think taking only last item into account does not provide
personalization. For example you and I may watch the same movie and like it,
but our reasons to like the movie might be different. You may like the genre
while I like the director. My next movie will be another movie of the
director, yours will be another movie with the same genre. To make this
distinction, the algorithm should know our history in addition to the last
movie we watched. I want a recommendation algorithm that takes my history
into account, and also efficiently use the *time* parameter.

Those are why I didn't implement the system with one of the ways you have
mentioned. Nonetheless, if I can't find another way, I will probably
implement a frequent sequence mining algorithm with a low minimum support
threshold to make the algorithm cover most of possible item sequences.(i.e.
increase the percentage of items that algorithm may find a successor for.)

--
Gökhan Çapan