mahout-user mailing list archives

From "Peter M. Goldstein" <peter_m_goldst...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: No class definition found for org.apache.mahout.math.Vector when invoking K-means example
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2010 16:29:40 GMT
Hi Gokul,

Using the Mahout on Amazon EC2 directions I'm able to get a little farther
than this.  Specifically, using the job file created when building the
examples I don't get any ClassNotFoundExceptions.  Instead I get an
InvalidInputException (presumably because I didn't prepare any input data
for the job).  If you provide some appropriately formatted candidate data
I'd be happy to try and run a complete test.

In my test I'm using the command line:

$HADOOP_HOME/bin/hadoop jar
$MAHOUT_HOME/examples/target/mahout-examples-0.4-SNAPSHOT.job
org.apache.mahout.clustering.syntheticcontrol.kmeans.Job

Again, it's critical to build and use the examples Job file.  If I attempt
to use the core Job file instead key classes appear to be absent.

Hope that helps.

--Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Gokul Pillai [mailto:gokooltech@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:35 PM
To: user@mahout.apache.org
Subject: Re: No class definition found for org.apache.mahout.math.Vector
when invoking K-means example

Peter
Thank you for your response. However, after making your changes, it still
does not work for me.
In fact I tried another way which is:
1. create a lib folder within my Job Jar-file and put the
"org.apache.mahout.math.Vector" and other dependent jars.
2. Launch the command via "hadoop jar ./mahout-examples-with-libs.jar
org.apache.mahout.clustering.syntheticcontrol.kmeans.Job"

However, I still get the error:
"Error: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.mahout.math.Vector
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200)"

Another thing I tried is modify the $HADOOP_HOME/conf/hadoop-env.sh and edit
the HADOOP_CLASSPATH to include the dependent libraries. Even that does not
work.

Regards
Gokul

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Peter M. Goldstein <
peter_m_goldstein@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Gokul,
>
> You may want to see the following bug reports:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-426
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-427
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-428
>
> I ran into similar issues as you and had to some minor patching to get
> everything to work.
>
> Also, make sure you run an explicit "mvn install" from within the examples
> directory.  I had to do this to get the JOB files to build correctly.
> Getting the JOB files to build correctly solves (sort of) issues 426 and
> 427, so you only need to apply the patch described in 428.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter

"/usr/lib/hadoop/lib/mahout-collections-1.0.jar:/usr/lib/hadoop/lib/mahout-m

ath-0.4-SNAPSHOT.jar:/usr/lib/hadoop/lib/mahout-utils-0.4-SNAPSHOT.jar:/usr/
> lib/hadoop/lib/mahout-core-0.4-SNAPSHOT.jar":

> attempt_201006280959_0027_r_000000_1, Status : FAILED
> java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.mahout.clustering.kmeans.KMeansCombiner
>    at
org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.getClass(Configuration.java:868)
>    at

org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.JobContext.getCombinerClass(JobContext.java:169)
>    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.Task$CombinerRunner.create(Task.java:1107)
>    at

org.apache.hadoop.mapred.ReduceTask$ReduceCopier.<init>(ReduceTask.java:1780
> )
>    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.ReduceTask.run(ReduceTask.java:375)
>    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.Child.main(Child.java:170)
> org.apache.mahout.clustering.kmeans.KMeansCombiner
>    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200)
>    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
>    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
>    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)
>    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
>    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:252)
>    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:320)
>    at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
>    at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:247)
>    at

org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.getClassByName(Configuration.java:815)
>    at
org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.getClass(Configuration.java:866)