mahout-user mailing list archives

From Chantal Ackermann <chantal.ackerm...@btelligent.de>
Subject "Taste" GroupLens Example on Binary Release?
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2010 13:18:53 GMT
Hi all,

completely new to Mahout and Taste, I've started by downloading
mahout-0.3.tar.bz2 and reading through the wiki and some mailing list
threads. I would like to set up the GroupLens example.

I get the impression I need at least the source tarball (instead of the
binary that I downloaded) or even the SVN checkout to get the GroupLens
demo to work. Is that correct? All descriptions on installing the demo
refer to maven calls and directories present in the source tarball (or
the svn checkout).

Does that mean that the binary release is not an option for installing
"Taste", at all?

If the binary release really is not an option, it would be helpful if
the documentation on http://mahout.apache.org/taste.html could state
that. Currently it reads:

"""
Demo

To build and run the demo, follow the instructions below, which are
written for Unix-like operating systems:

   1. Obtain a copy of the Mahout distribution, either from SVN or as a
downloaded archive.
"""
(For me, "Mahout distribution" includes binary releases.)

Thanks,
Chantal