mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop with MySQL-based data model and Spring integration
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:35:30 GMT
No, not really. A relational database is pretty at odds with the
nature of Hadoop, which is about distributing and computing only bits
of data at once, in ways that are independent of other data.

That's not a property of Mahout as much as Hadoop.

But that said, if you're doing recommendation, you might check out the
"pseudo distributed" recommender under .hadoop.pseudo. It's a way to
run n instances of a non-distributed recommender at once on Hadoop.
Those instances aren't distributed, so you have memory scalability
issues.

But it might be OK for you. And sure you can run whatever recommender
you like that way, including one that accesses MySQL.

There should be no issue with Spring per se, no.