mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Recommend for anonymous users
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2010 15:20:14 GMT
1) Good question. One answer is to make these "anonymous" users real
users in your data model, at least temporarily. That is, they need not
be anonymous to the recommender, even if they're not yet a registered
user as far as your site is concerned.

There's a class called PlusAnonymousUserDataModel that helps you do
this. It wraps a DataModel and lets you quickly add a temporary user,
recommend, then un-add that user. It may be the easiest thing to try.

(BTW the book Mahout in Action covers this in section 5.4, in the
current MEAP draft.)

2) Not sure I fully understand. You already have some external,
pre-computed notion of item similarity? then just feed that in to
GenericItemSimilarity and use it from there.

Sean