mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Data Types for Item/Element Ids
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2010 10:08:38 GMT
I believe you are referring to recommenders specifically. It used to
allow string IDs but it's a lot of overhead. Most applications already
use integer identifiers for these entities -- and those that don't can
use the support in the library for building a mapping from strings to
ints.

Vectors naturally have integer dimensions of course, but can in some
cases label the dimensions with strings.

The answer depends on what you are referring to but think it's going
to be integers for the most part, since the caller can map anything to
integers without much trouble.