mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mahout running on Hadoop
Date Sun, 04 Jul 2010 20:00:45 GMT
The recommendation capabilities are the best integrated and most
interchangeable parts of Mahout.

You should be able to start with entirely on-line recommendations and switch
to off-line methods fairly transparently as you scale.  In addition, you
should be able to use off-line precomputation with hadoop and still use
non-hadoop based methods for experiments.

Sean should probably comment on the details, but I am pretty sure that the
statement above is a good summary.