mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "Taste" GroupLens Example on Binary Release?
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2010 15:24:43 GMT
You don't need the latest source from Subversion, though at this
stage, that is always highly recommended. Things change fast. 0.3 is
now a bit out of date.

For this particular task yes I believe you need the source and build
scripts since it is actually constructing a deployable component and
that needs the build system.

That doesn't mean you must have source to do anything, no. There is
more to Mahout than recommenders. And if you want to just call the
code as a library, no you can just use binaries.

The bit this example uses, and that you may wish to use, is a
mechanism that packages up the library and your code into a deployable
web archive. But if you don't want to use that yourself you don't have
to use it.