mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A question regarding GenericUserBasedRecommender
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2010 20:09:30 GMT
Focussing on rating error is also problematic in that it causes us to worry
about being correct about the estimated ratings for items that will *never*
be shown to a user.

In my mind, the only thing that matters in a practical system is the
ordering of the top few items and the rough composition of the top few
hundred items.  Everything else makes no difference at all for real-world
recommendations.