mahout-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Eastman <j...@windwardsolutions.com>
Subject Re: Tranforming data for k-means analysis
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2010 17:30:05 GMT
  When you run kmeans from the command line with a -k value, the run()
method calls the RandomSeedGenerator before calling the job() method to
run the iterations. It's only when using the job() method directly from
user code that you would perhaps want to use the RandomSeedGenerator (or
Canopy) to populate the clusters in the -ci directory. So, yes, from the
command line the driver already does it.

I suggested looking at the InputDriver code as that is what converts the
space-delimited synthetic control text file to Mahout sequence of
VectorWritable file format. Once you have data in that format you should
be good to go with any of the clustering implementations.