mahout-user mailing list archives

From Dean Jones <dean.m.jo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Alternative Naive Bayes Datastore?
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:58:23 GMT
Hi Ted,

> I understood that.  What I was hoping for was feedback on how our sparse
> vectors could be made better based on comparison with your internal library.

The only "advantage" our internal library has that I'm aware of is
that the vector and matrix classes implement Serializable, which
allows us to more easily interface with other libraries that require
this. As a matter of fact, over the last year or so, we've preferred
to use the commons-math library and considered ours largely
deprecated. IIRC, the commons-math classes also implement
Serializable, so that might also be an option for us here.

> I was also suggesting that in other areas, interface with Mahout might be
> made very easy without forcing you to migrate your current vector package
> very much.  That is a particular
> interest since this is the first potential use case for a user masquerading
> their vector package as compatible with Mahout vectors.

Ah, I see. As I say, nowadays we prefer to use the commons-math
library, so we're unlikely to do much work on our internal library.
I'd be interested though in any advantages that the Mahout linear
algebra library has over the commons-math library.

Dean.