mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Regarding the scalability of SVD code in Mahout
Date Sun, 05 Sep 2010 06:05:07 GMT
I don't think anybody has done anything on quite that scale, though Jake may
have come relatively close.

There are several scaling limits.  These include:

- the total number of non-zero elements.  This drives the scan time and, to
some extent the cost of the multiplies.

- the total number of singular vectors desired.  This directly drives the
number of iterations in the Hebbian approach and drives the size of
intermediate products in the random projection techniques.  It also causes
product scaling with the next factor.

- the number of columns in the original matrix.  This, multiplied by the
number of singular vectors drives the memory cost of some approaches in the
final step or in the SVD step for the random projection.

- the number of rows in the original matrix.  This is a secondary factor
that can drive some intermediate products in the random projection.

Which of these will hang you up in your problem is an open question.  There
is always the factor I haven't thought about yet.

Jake, do you have any thoughts on this?