mahout-user mailing list archives

From Drew Farris <d...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clustering on Elastic Map Reduce
Date Sun, 12 Sep 2010 02:11:22 GMT
Congratulations!

What's the best way to send messages back to the caller of an EMR job,
using stderr instead of the log framework here?

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> And indeed, running this via the Ruby CLI works as well.  Woo hoo!
>
> -Grant
>
> On Sep 11, 2010, at 9:01 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>

>> On Sep 11, 2010, at 8:02 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>>
>>> I've made a little bit of progress here, but not much.  Here's what I ran:
>>>
>>> elastic-mapreduce -j <JOB>  --jar s3n://news-vecs/mahout-core-0.4-SNAPSHOT.job
 --main-class org.apache.mahout.clustering.kmeans.KMeansDriver --arg --input --arg s3n://news-vecs/part-out.vec
--arg --clusters --arg s3n://news-vecs/kmeans/clusters/ --arg

>>> --k
>>
>> Ugh.  It's -k, not --k.
>>
>> So, this bit of code could likely be more useful:
>> } catch (IllegalArgumentException e) {
>>      log.error(e.getMessage());
>>      CommandLineUtil.printHelpWithGenericOptions(group);
>>      return null;
>>    }
>>
>> Since, at least on EMR, the logs tend to get buried and it writes it out to syslog,
not stderr or stdout.

>> I have it running now by logging into the EMR instance using SSH and then I also
specifically uploaded my Vector file to HDFS by hand.  In other words, I'm not using the
remote Ruby CLI just yet.