mahout-user mailing list archives

From Gabriel Webster <gabriel_webs...@htc.com>
Subject Re: Recommender system implementations
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2010 03:50:48 GMT
I wasn't part of the arguing about and settling on this, but I still
think it's the right behavior.  Firstly, the point of a recommender is
to maximize accuracy, so it makes sense to return the true rating if
it's known.  Secondly, the only time when actualPref would be non-null
is when you're testing on your training data; in any valid test, the
data points would be unseen and thus actualPref would always be null.
So I think that code is just there for real-world cases when you have to
display predicted ratings for any available item, not just items from
the test block, in which case you want to display the user's actual
rating for items that the user has rated.

But more to the point, the only time there might be true ratings