mahout-user mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Lyubimov <dlie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SVM classifier
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2010 21:54:43 GMT
Ivek,

Just my 2 cents

I think Logistic Regression is a capability and SGD is an implementation
technique (of finding minimum of a loss). Similarly, SGD can be applied to
finding loss minimums on SVMs as  well. Hence, as such capability name is
"Logistic Regression" and SGD is an implementation detail for those who like
to dig. It just so happens SGD use is limited to very few capabilities in
Mahout.

-Dmitriy.