mahout-user mailing list archives

From Lance Norskog <goks...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [slightly off topic] Determining Importance
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2011 04:23:45 GMT
Yup- the one-word story would be 'interesting' rather than 'relevant'.
Context matters: anything from the searcher to moment-to-moment
differences. Intertwined with this is attention.

In econ-speak, the user has a resource called 'attention'.  You are
talking about optimizing the utils received when the user spends this
resource. ('util' is a unitless measure of'what you got when you
spent'.)

Lance

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2011, at 3:32 PM, Dinesh B Vadhia wrote:
>
>> We could end-up in a hair-splitting hole.  Sounds like you want to be able to identify
things (items) that are relevant and important.  You could also say, items that are relevant
and of value.

> Yes, I would agree.
>

>> Describing the use-case might help?
>
> The use case is I am writing on the topic (well, a bunch of topics) and the thought occurred
to me that an organizing principal of this particular section is best summed up by the word
Importance, namely "Identifying Important Content and People".  What I would like to be able
to do is point a user at the most relevant/important research in the area as well as some
open source implementations that help solve the problem and also provide the basic theory
behind it.  When I first outlined the section, I was mainly going to focus on graph algorithms
like PageRank, but it occurred to me recently that it was broader than that.   Hence the
question being aimed more at the academic side of the equation and not so much at the implementation
side (besides, I would agree with most others here that the actual implementations focus on
either categorization or graph approaches.)

> From Twitter, there were other suggestions of things to look into: significance, novelty,
surprisal, information gain.

as well  (that is, Joe on the street is much more likely to say "That is important to me"
than to say "That is relevant to me".)

>> If we split hairs, Wikipedia defines relevance as "... how pertinent, connected,
or applicable something is to a given matter."  Webster has important as "marked by or indicative
of significant worth or consequence : valuable in content or relationship" -- I think importance
has a stronger connotation than relevance.  Under these definitions, I think something can
be relevant but still not be important.  Certainly everything that is important is also relevant.
 And certainly all the studies around relevance are important (!) to the discussion, but
what I'm getting at is a bit deeper (I think, but I can be dissuaded).

>> I would also agree with Ted here in that I don't think PageRank is necessarily a
measure of relevance (the page, after all, is on the given matter or not based on it's keywords,
but it is Important because of the fact that everyone else has said so).  I also wonder if
we aren't clouded by the use of relevance in search terms, particularly in keyword-based approaches.
 Importance to me factors in many other things (including personalization).  Again, maybe
I'm splitting hairs.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com