mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Interesting MapReduce variant: MapFreeduce
Date Sun, 15 May 2011 18:23:04 GMT
Yeah as I understand it has to stream data to and from the worker as the
sandbox allows no access to the file system or network (other than the
originating host). On the plus side -- limits the damage this can do to a
user's PC.

And yes this strikes me as one of the key issues with the model. It works OK
for smallish jobs or those with more CPU-intensive nature than I/O. I think
this grew out of a distributed computing technology built to handle
BOINC-style physics simulations, indeed.

It's not going to be a good model for a lot of problems -- it's cool enough
to warrant thinking about what it might be good for. If you can afford
long-running jobs that throttle network usage and all that, could be a
cheap-o way for a small organization to do something interesting with
MapReduce.