mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Current build taking a long time to install
Date Wed, 11 May 2011 04:20:03 GMT
Well, there isn't a complete sort of thing because Maven doesn't have a
finite or fixed number of options.  This is because nearly all of the
behavior of Maven is defined by plugins that are downloaded on first
invocation.  You are right that this is a problem that steepens the learning
curve for Maven, but part of the problem is the common assumption that
"maven is just like ant except broken".  Maven rolls together the problems
of managing software lifecycle, dependencies, group cooperation, definition
of standard practices and project comprehension into one package.  Ant does
part of the first task.  A key test is that IDE's can read all the project
information that they need from the pom, but they can't understand ant build
files well enough to function.

The normal way to skip tests is documented on the FAQ page:
http://maven.apache.org/general.html

The quick start pages are good as well.

The option that Benson mentioned is one that is defined in our own pom.xml
and thus isn't documented by the Maven guys.