mahout-user mailing list archives

From Vckay <darkvc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question Regarding Distributed Row Matrix
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 15:24:14 GMT
So I am trying to build PCA. I was recommended in a previous thread that it
was better that my data is available at the start as a distributed row
matrix. The work flow (already posted in a previous thread) would be:
1. Get the data into distributed row matrix format.
2. Compute empirical mean vector.
3. Either subtract mean from the data
4. Find transpose.
5. Multiply matrix with its transpose
6. Perform SVD on resultant matrix. (Lanczos SVD).

Now I could avoid step 1 and do step 2,3 without worrying of
DistributedRowMatrix format. I guess I could to step 4 too manually (even
though to be frank, I don't understand your second paragraph i.e, how
turning the vectors into sparse vectors will enable me to do transpose in a
easier fashion without resorting to doing it manually), however, I suppose
the purpose of the DRM format was to make step 5,6 much easier so I guess I
have to figure out how to get it in this format to be able to these steps.

Thanks again!