mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Which is more effective?
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 22:50:08 GMT
For #1 -- there is still an unanswered issue in there, and that's how you
extract features from items. I assume you already have some scheme for that.
(The framework can't quite help you there.)

But then the question remains how you compute similarity from features. So
#1 isn't a concrete possibility by itself.

I am not sure if a classifier can be used very directly to figure a notion
of item-item similarity. I am sure it can be used in some sense, but it
doesn't seem like the most direct tool. A simpler notion, of similarity or
distance, is what you want, and that's a piece of clustering algorithms
really.