mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can all the algorithms in Mahout be run locally without a Hadoop cluster.
Date Sat, 25 Jun 2011 09:21:41 GMT
I think EMR is well worth using. I just think you do want to throw more, and
smaller, machines at the task than you imagine. I used the 'small' instance
but you might get away with a fleet of micro instances even. And do most
certainly request spot instances for your workers (but pay full rate for
your master to ensure it's not killed). It stays reasonably economical this
way, even if I wouldn't call this "dirt cheap".