mahout-user mailing list archives

From Dhruv Kumar <dku...@ecs.umass.edu>
Subject Re: quickstart: MVN problems
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:17:50 GMT
On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 6:15 AM, Daniel Weitzenfeld
<dweitzenfeld@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm going through the quickstart - clustering synthetic control data
> (https://cwiki.apache.org/MAHOUT/clustering-of-synthetic-control-data.html
> )
> and I have a question and a problem.  Please keep in mind that my
> background is with R and Python, and I have little experience with
> Java, Maven, etc.
>
> In step 3, why do I have to create
> "mahout-examples-$MAHOUT_VERSION.job" if it already exists in
> /opt/local/share/java/mahout-distribution-0.5?

You need this because in the next step, the command line program
$MAHOUT_HOME/bin/mahout expects the particular job.class file to be under
$MAHOUT_HOME/examples/target/classes/org/apache/mahout/clustering/syntheticcontrol/<clustering
algorithm>/ directory.

> In step 3.b, running "mvn clean install", I get this error: "[ERROR]
> The goal you specified requires a project to execute but there is no
> POM in this directory (/opt/local/share/java/mahout-distribution-0.5).
> Please verify you invoked Maven from the correct directory."  What
> does this mean and how do I rectify it?

Are you in the correct directory, i.e, the root directory where you have
checked out the code? Check if you can find a pom.xml file there.

mvn clean install will look for a pom.xml in the directory in which it is
invoked, and it will perform the clean and install lifecycle tasks.