mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sebastian Schelter <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Deploying a massively scalable recommender system with Apache Mahout
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2011 08:14:08 GMT
David, can you please give us some details about your usecase?

It seems like you're trying to reimplement the system I described in
http://ssc.io/deploying-a-massively-scalable-recommender-system-with-apache-mahout/

That system is highly optimized for a certain class of usecases and only
makes sense if you have like 100+ million datapoints and 100+
requests/second to your recommender.

If you just want to start diving into recommendation mining and build a
first system to play with, working with this article is definitely the
wrong approach. In that case, I highly suggest you get a copy of "Mahout
in Action", http://manning.com/owen/ which gives a superb introduction
to recommendation mining with mahout.

--sebastian